Thursday, August 26, 2010

You Gotta Gimmick A Gimmick- Q's adventures in Burlesque!

   I guess burlesque will always hold a special place in my heart!  My very first professional show was in the North Carolina Theatre's production of "Gypsy". Many years ago, like chubby fat Q years ago! Back then my family was living in a small shitty tobacco farming town in North Carolina, so my mother would drive me an hour to Raleigh, North Carolina for rehearsals and performances pretty much everyday, sometimes I would have to get dropped of on two show days and the actress that played Mazeppa made sure that I was taken care of. Yes, I was baby sat by an actress dressed as a trumpet welding dominatrix stripper! 
   For those unfamiliar with the show. "Gypsy" is loosely based on the life of the famous burlesque performer Gypsy Rose Lee.Q is too lazy to write what Gypsy is about so click here!
   My favorite number in the show is the act two showstopper "You Gotta Get a Gimmick" sung by Tessie, Mazeppa, and Electra. I remember watching this number every night and singing and bumping and grinding along.  Who knew it would about 18 years before I would actually go to a burlesque show.
   After receiving the text from Sina, my high energy hottie bestie!, that I would be going to Kitty Nights Burlesque @ Bar on A, I spent an agonizing amount of time trying to decide  on what to wear and finally made it downtown to meet my partners in mischief for the evening.    Shortly after arriving, we were greeted by the sexy and chic BooBess. The best way I can describe her is like a hottie librarian. Tight pencil skirt, heels, proper fitted blouse, hair pinned back, with that sexy,"I've got a secret!" look...very kitty with a whip! She tells us that if we want a good seat we better get to the other room, the show is about the start.   What followed was an hour of music, humor,comedy, and sexy burlesque! I wanted to see more!
  It wasn't the sleazy experience I was expecting.   It was a celebration of the female and male body, of art, and acceptance.  The energy was one of community,freedom, and sensuality! That's really the best way I could sum up what I experienced.  If you are in the NYC area, check out "London Britches Falling Down" presented by Siren Song Burlesque and hosted by the phenomenal BooBess & Kat Mandu! The show will be at the Delancey on August 31, starts at 9:30pm and there is a $8.00 cover.  Go to the show and get a master class on loving your body and being sexy!
  That's all for today kids! Thanks for checking out my blog and don't forget to subscribe, follow, and share!  Let's keep growing! Oh and don't forget to follow me on twitter! @QtheBowtiedOne.
 " If ya wanna make it. Twinkle while ya shake it!"
"If ya wanna grind it. Wait till you refine it!"
"If ya bump it. Bump it with a trumpet!"
"Get yourself a gimmick and you to will be a star!"
-from "You Gotta Get a Gimmick"-Gypsy

1 comment:

  1. "You can uhm, you can uhm, you can uhm- uhm= uhm". Why did you do that, I will be singing that all night! Yep we all need a gimmick to get through life. You learn that early in life, even in grade school.

    ReplyDelete